Over the week I’ve seen so many photos of this new line from Michael’s – featuring none other than a $15 version of a traveler’s notebook cover. The one biggest barrier to committing to a “TN” system is the cost of a quality cover, so I ventured out to see if this is the beginner cover for you.
Here is the Katch.me replay of my Periscope broadcast where you can see the comments streaming in from viewers, or the YouTube version where I’ve clipped chat side-comments out.
No time to watch the video? Here are the highlights of my review.
- The basics. This cover is super soft, about as thick as a leather cover but much more flexible. The outside is kind of like a fake leather jacket – soft and smooth but definitely not leather. It measures 8.5 inches x 5.5 inches and was the only size available at the store, in 8 colors. The notebook is closed by wrapping and tucking a leather cord and cute charm.
- The inside is a velveteen texture – with a sheen and fuzzy feeling to it. Again, SUPER pliable.
- Inside are 2 inserts, about 8 inches high by 4.5 inches wide. They give you a white and a kraft paper one inside, and they are blank. These inserts are 28 pages (so 14, front and back). You can buy set of 3 for $4.99 a pack (I have a feeling you’d need them, as you’d blow through them pretty quickly!)
- They provide an extra loose elastic to allow you to add another notebook inside.
- There is one elastic that goes almost the full height, and a shorter one next to it. I have been informed you can indeed stretch the short one to accommodate a taller insert if you wanted.
On the left is the Recollections notebook on top of my Foxy Fix Wide cover – you can see that it’s just a touch narrower than the Foxy. You can’t quite see that it is shorter.
I typically use a “Cahier” sized insert which is usually deemed A5 or large (8 inches by 5 inches). Two of these fit comfortably inside with minimal overhang.
Lastly you can see how my A5 Rhodia notebook definitely doesn’t fit inside!
I put 2 of my new May Designs notebooks inside and it felt pretty “full” – here’s a side view:
These inserts are 80 pages each, and you can see it kisses the edge of the cover. This is a great size to stay slim.
- This is a SUPER affordable starter notebook cover – for $15 full price without even using a trusty 40% off coupon, it’s a great way to see if you want to use the system.
- Great for kids who want to plan with you, or if you want to be minimal on your travel logs, or even if you want to just have a side “Ideas” notebook.
- Optimal if you only want to use 2 notebooks, or don’t mind overhang
- I was a little frustrated at needing to wind the leather cord around to close the notebook – I’m spoiled by the elastic on my Foxy covers. I wonder if you could use an Elastic Re-String Kit from Foxy Fix and make it an elastic enclosure?!
- It seems like it would be easily dinged and nicked, though pretty water resistant
- If I were to use this system, I would get completely different inserts – 28 pages is not enough for my typical uses. If you were using it as a casual thing, a dedicated gratitude log, or something smaller, then they may work if you like Blank paper. If not, I’d go elsewhere (Foxy Fix, YellowPaperHouse and AOR Journals on Etsy, MayDesigns)
What did you think? Are you going to test one out?