2016 Goal SettingJanuary 20, 2016
Get ready! #PlanWithMeChallenge FebruaryJanuary 27, 2016
Sometimes I like to add some quick flair to my lettering, and I’m often asked how I add a bit of a Galaxy effect to my words. So in a few steps, here’s how you can too!
- Your favorite brush pen – in this case the bigger brush the better. In this tutorial I use Tombow Dual Brush Pens, and I’m also a huge fan of Sai brush pens or Zig Brushables.
- A ruler
- A white gel pen – I’m using a Uniball Signo which I LOVE.
- Any paper will do – I’m using a sketchbook from TJMaxx.
- Note: * Some of the above links may be affiliate links. In plain English, this means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. You will never see me post a link to a product or service that I haven’t used myself and love! (Learn more here)
- Go slowly with the white pen to get even and opaque ink flow
- Vary your angles a bit throughout the strokes
- If you are a pro with your Tombows, blend some purple onto your blue brush to get an even better galaxy effect! (that’ll be another day!)
- Add more ink to a few random dots for the “bright stars” by dabbing the tip a few times on the dot
- Get some more INSANELY beautiful inspiration from the person who inspired me, @ascorbiceline.
Easy enough! Are you trying it out? Let me know in the comments or tag me on Instagram @prettyprintsandpaper.
If you liked this post, you might also like my tips on how to create beautiful gradients with colored pencil.
There are some affiliate links in this post, which means that if you happen to buy something, I get a small commission that goes back to supporting my blog. These are the very supplies I use and love, and I am thankful for your support!
Jessica is.a Minnesotan handlettering artist, leadership educator, and bullet journal blogger. She is passionate about working with people to uncover their personal power and potential through connection, creative planning, and calligraphy. You can find her at a local ice cream shop, teaching, on Instagram (@prettyprintsandpaper)
Awesome tutorial! Thanks so much. I’m always looking for ways to add something extra to my lettering — I’ll try this out sometime!
Let me know if you try it! Would love to see!
Wow, that looks great!
[…] to add a Galaxy Effect to your […]
You must log in to post a comment.